Thursday, May 7, 2009

Thinking About Mother

I think Mother’s Day is one of the best days of the year. For me, it is a time to celebrate my own mother’s contributions to my life and reflect on the wonderful memories of the past. My mom is elderly and in poor health, but she lives nearby and we can visit on a regular basis. I see her almost every day and she is still my biggest fan and my biggest critic. With mom, there is no sugar coating. If you have circles under your eyes, you are going to hear about it. If you have on a snazzy tie, you will get a compliment. If you have gained a little weight, she will bring it to your attention. I love that about mom. It is pure honesty.

The other day, mom said to me, “You still love me a lot don’t you?” I replied, “I can’t believe you asked me that question mom, of course I love you with all my heart.” She grinned and said, “Just checking.” Then, I asked her, “Do you still love me?” and she said, “Oh my goodness, more than tongue can tell.” I had never heard that expression before but it really made me feel good.

I have wonderful memories of mom in our hometown in West Virginia. She always wore an apron in the kitchen and was always cooking something for us. She was a faithful member of the local Baptist Church. She taught Sunday School, sang in the choir and served on several boards and committees. My mom has lived her faith in her daily life as well as anyone. She had a job in the local bank that positioned her in the middle of the lobby. She greeted every single person who came into the bank with a smile and a warm welcome. I still have people come up to me today and tell me how much mom influenced their lives. She supported them through a divorce or gave them advice during a pregnancy or was just there to listen when people needed to talk. That is a great quality-listening, and mom has always been a great listener. She nursed my wounds both inside and out and I went off into the world a much better person because of her.


As we celebrate Mother’s Day, we celebrate a bond like no other. Our moms birthed us and cared for us, raised us and sent us out into the world. I am blessed to still have my mother as part of my life. There is no one else like her and there never will be. I wish a Happy Mother’s Day to every mother out there. You deserve this special day.


Tom Keith is the president of the Sisters of Charity Foundation of South Carolina

No comments: